Thursday 9 April 2015

A MISSIVE FROM OBEN MAXWELL EYONG



A MISSIVE FROM OBEN MAXWELL EYONG

                                                                                                                  (Hon) Oben Maxwell Eyon
 Awaiting Trial
 Buea Central Prison
     Southwest Region, Cameroun
     Email: coalition@yahoo.com
SUBJECT:   A PLEA FOR A REVERSAL OF THE GROSS HUMAN RIGHT VIOLATION METED ON ME.
Beloved Comrades,
All protocol duly respected and honoured. Accept my fraternal greetings from jail and sorry for the inconveniences of writing you this letter. I am writing you this letter as a direct protest to the authorities that be, expressing my frustration , pains, anguish and total lamentation to the rule of law and to a greater extent the abuse of the rule of law and my fundamental human rights.
Fellow comrades, I write this note to you from my prison cell in the Buea Central Prison under occupation, colonization and annexation where I am illegally incarcerated and undergoing all sorts of torture and abuse for over a period of one year now. As many of us may know, I am (Hon) Oben Maxwell Eyong, National Chairman of the Southern Cameroons National Coalition for Human Rights and Freedoms often referred to as Southern Cameroons National Coalition (SOCNAC). I am as well the regional coordinator of the Southern Cameroons National Council (SCNC) for Yaoundé. I am a human and civil rights activist, advocate for the rights of the oppressed, voiceless and colonised people of Southern Cameroons. Campaigner for the decolonisation and the restoration of the state of Southern Cameroons; now under foreign occupation and colonisation by the government of La Republique du Cameroun under the cover of “unification”. 

Dear comrades,
I wish to draw your attention for your immediate intervention for my release. I have stood for nothing else save the castigation of the heinous crime and crime against humanity perpetrated against a voiceless, defenceless and a non-offensive people for over a period of 54 years. A crime so widely ignored and discarded by the international community, human rights organisations and watchdogs of Democracy. The issue is now at the verge of explosion if nothing is done to salvage the situation. My ordeal is not different from that of my fellow compatriots. It all started on Sunday 2nd February 2014 at the mile 17 motor park in Buea in the occupied territory of Southern Cameroons when I was about to travel to Yaoundé after a three day visit to my friend. I was intercepted without a warrant or convocation, harassed, tortured, detained “Incomunicado” at the Buea judicial police Headquarters for over a period of six days. People who came to see me were threatened with arrest and were sent away with food brought for me.

At the time of my arrest I was told the Governor of the Southwest region wanted to talk to me in order to work out a comprehensive solution to the grievances of the Anglophone community of Cameroon (Southern Cameroons). As they proceeded with their interrogation, I was barely asked to voice my grievances with the government system in place sop as to enable the governor/government to know what our pains are. Surprisingly for me, only to see them turn around six days later and accused me of conspiracy to civil war, insurrection, secessionist activities and plans to disrupt President Paul Biya’s planned visit to Buea on the occasion of the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the “re-unification” amongst others.

Dear Compatriots,
All the accusations against me are false, baseless and unfounded, trumped-up by the agents of the state and overzealous uniform officers to blackmail my personality and to discredit the credibility of our JUST COURSE and the activities of our organisation to the public. If found guilty by the standard of the justice system of La Republique Du Cameroun, which is of course not the best, I may be sentenced to death or spend the rest of my life in prison. I urge us to read article 74, 95, 111, 112, 116(b) in which I am charged. Worst of it all, at this point in time when anyone who dares call for the restoration of the state of Southern Cameroons or question the legality by which the Republic of Cameroun is administering sovereignty over the State of English Cameroons is branded as an enemy of the State of La Republique Du Cameroun and is subjected to all sorts of torture and persecution.
This has been my fate and that of my other fellow Southern Cameroonian siblings in the so-called Union; A Union that has so far transformed into the occupation and colonisation of the other party in the union-The Southern Cameroons. For over a period of 54 years of colonisation, subjugation, assimilation, marginalisation and gross human rights abuses characterised the so-called union. Citizens of Southern Cameroons have lost their statehood and all their fundamental human rights to the occupationist La Republique du Cameroun.
I languish here today because of my uncompromising stance against the illegal ooccupatioon and injustice meted on my people. What are the incriminating evidences against me that warrant my case to be referred to court, the military tribunal, as a matter of fact?
To maintain a strong grip and control over our people and homeland, the colonial authorities in Yaoundé have instituted a system of divide and rule, placed an army of occupation and colonial administration to watch and administer her imperial policies over us, setting us against one another to keep us permanently in loggerheads.
Our people have been intimidated and silenced to fear, the fear of losing their jobs, employment and social status, the fear of their children risking admission into the most prestigious elite schools reserved only for the “francophone” children from La republique du Cameroun; The fear of arrests and detention or disappearance from the surface of the earth; The fear of losing public contracts, employment into the public service, or recruitment into the military.
Southern Cameroonians are intimidated and forced to co-operate with the colonial authorities, paid to conspire against their fellow compatriots or else face the consequences. They are those who must shout and recite slogans of allegiance and sing praises to glorify the evil system; write motions of support to support everything even all is not well just to gain favour and whitewash themselves. Many are appointed in the government after they have been properly brainwashed or assimilated to represent and protect the interest of their master’s master in Yaoundé
Why should anybody oor people who freely entered into a contract be held hostage by the other party in the union; a union that can no longer serve their best interest whereby we are treated as second class citizens or a conquered and dominated species.

Fellow compatriots,
Like we all know, this is a snapshot of the ugly reality of the six million Southern Cameroonians in the hands of their so-called brothers in a union they freely chose to join.
It is against this backdrop coupled with torture and growing family responsibility that lies on the shoulders of my unemployed wife that I am appealing good people like you, justice, and God-fearing people and people of goodwill irrespective of their social status to come to my support to enable me pay for the services of my defence counsel, support my family and also pay for some of my basic needs here in prison.
I am equally pleading to you to use your good office, chains of friends, local and international human rights organisations and governments to intervene for my release and please do well to mention my name in your prayers.
While looking forward to hearing from you or seeing you soon, you can reach me through nephew Emmanuel who resides in Buea. Tel; 237 677-421-069 or you can visit as from 10.00 am – 3.30pm daily.

Thanks and may God bless you abundantly.

                               (Hon) Oben Maxwell Eyong
                              Detained Human Rights Activist,
                               National Chairman of the Southern
                               Cameroons National Coalition
                               Coordinator SCNC for Yaoundé coordinator.

No comments:

Post a Comment